Rusty Tweed lists 6 tips to get rid of black mold  

Tweed Economics

June 2, 2022

Rusty Tweed

Black mold isn’t just a problem for a home. It can wreak havoc on your health too.

This fungus is both invasive and destructive. While it’s unsightly on the surface, the damage is even more severe when not visible and undetected. In addition to costly repairs, black mold can result in serious respiratory issues if left untreated. Identifying and removing black mold is necessary to protect your health and your home’s value.

Fortunately, Rusty Tweed can help. Before becoming a broker, he made his name in real estate. The Glendale, CA resident purchased his first rental property at just 22 years old. Since then, he has completed more than 30 flips, focusing mostly on foreclosures. This experience has produced a variety of DIY skills. Treating black mold is one of them.

Rusty Tweed shares this expertise by offering six strategies for locating, treating, and preventing black mold.

Check for symptoms

Mold exposure may alter how you feel before you can actually see it. These are warning signs. According to the Centers of Disease Control (CDC), early symptoms mirror those caused by a cold or flu. This includes a stuffy nose, eye irritation, or wheezing. Longer exposure results in fever, nausea, respiratory infections, or shortness of breath.

Find the source

Black mold is often easy to spot. Moisture and humidity create the right conditions for it to grow at an alarming rate. For this reason, kitchens, bathrooms, basements, and garages are all common places. Although it will appear discolored and often slimy, follow your nose. Mold produces a musty scent. Rusty Tweed encourages the use of a flashlight to inspect all nooks and crannies.

Clear the air

You must contain the problem. After you’ve eliminated the source of the moisture, turn off any heating or air conditioning. Avoid pushing the air through other parts of your home. Seal doorways with tarps or painter’s tape.

Protect yourself

Gear up. All DIY projects require proper equipment and clothing. For mold, cover the skin completely. Long-sleeve shirts and pants are a must. Wear safety goggles and rubber gloves too. A respirator is also recommended. Once finished, discard these clothes.

Create your cleaning agent

You likely already have a mold remover in your pantry. While you can purchase commercial products, making a bleach mixture is sufficient for home use. Simply add one cup of bleach to one gallon of water. Dish soap or other all-purpose cleaners may also do the trick.

Treat the area

Spray. Sit. Scrub. Repeat. The process is relatively easy. Spray your mixture onto the affected area. Letting it sit for about 10 minutes will allow the anti-bacterial properties to break down the grime. Then, scrub using a sponge. Pro tip: Rusty Tweed never scrapes dried mold. Keep it saturated to avoid contaminating the air. Repeat these steps as needed until the mold has been completely removed.